Here are some interesting facts about stress. Note, these are just fun facts. If you’re looking for a cure, please keep looking.
- The word Stress has been used for hundreds of years – -it has roots in the Old French/ Middle English word Destresse, meaning “distress”, but it wan’t used in the psychological sense until the 20th century.
- There are two types of stress: Distress, the regular stress that plagues us, and eustress, a positive form that improves productivity and performance.
- Globally, more than three out of five doctors visits are stress related.
- In the U.S. alone, more than $22.8 billion is spent on anxiety-related health care each year.
- Each year, more than 275,000,000 working days are lost in the U.S. because of absenteeism resulting from stress.
- Stress balls, relaxation tapes, and other stress-fighting products accountfor $14 billion of spending in the U.S. each year.
For me the most interesting fact is “eustress”. Doing a Google search for eustress yielded 111,000 results – pretty small by today’s standards. Searching for distress yields 39,200,000 (no further refinement was performed).